Study in Netherlands

Top Holland Universities

Trending Holland Cities

Step-by - step Netherlands

Student Visa Process

The Netherland’s Student Visa Process

The country of Holland (officially The Netherlands) is located in Western Europe, on the coast of the North Sea. It is bordered by Germany and Belgium. For students from the EU, and EEA it is easy to go and study there. But for students from India need a student visa to pursue your program. Below is the process for an Indian student to get a student visa in Holland. 

  • The requirement of a Provincial Residence Permit, officially known as MVV (Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf means, Authorization for Provisional Stay). The MVV is applied by the host university on the student’s behalf. 

MVV allows entry in the country for a six-month period. Most of the courses at universities last for 1 to 4 years, a mere MVV will not suffice. Then you must apply for VVR once you enter the country. A VVR is an I.D. card that allows you to legally reside in the Netherlands. 

  • Once you enter the country, you need to apply for VVR or a Residence Permit. The VVR is also applied by the host university.

  • VVR is permitted for study purposes only and is valid for the duration of the program the student had enrolled in. There is another condition attached to the validity of VVR. It stays valid provided the student scores 50% of credit throughout the course duration.


Requirements for Student Visa for the Netherlands

For the successful grant of a student visa for the Netherlands, you must submit these compulsory documents:

  • Valid passport

  • Proof of sufficient financial means validating that you will be able to support yourself financially during your stay.

  • Letter from the university you have chosen confirming your admission.

  • Proof of payment for all required legal fees

  • Health insurance

  • Completed application form

  • Two photographs. 

  • Birth certificate

  • Academic transcripts

  • Valid health insurance. 


Language Requirements. 

Do you still need to pass subjects to meet the conditions to start your education? A Dutch or English language course for example? You can have a one-time maximum period of 12 months to prepare for your studies.

Do you have your bachelor's degree and you are going to continue a master's program? It is then possible to again make use of a maximum of 12 months to prepare for your master's program.

Your educational institution determines the conditions of your education. Are you going to follow an education taught in the English language? You must pass or have passed the following IELTS score:

  • You instantly start your main education: IELTS 6.0

  • You follow a preparatory period of a maximum period of 12 months: IELTS 5.0

  • You follow a preparatory period of a maximum period of 6 months: IELTS 5.5

In addition to IELTS, there are other accepted language tests: TOEFL, TOEIC, and Cambridge English grades & scale.

After having arrived in the Netherlands, you will undergo a medical test for tuberculosis (TB)

Validity residence permit ​

The residence permit for study is valid for the duration of your education plus 3 months. You can get 1 extra year for a preparatory education or a transition year, for example, to learn Dutch. The residence permit is issued for a maximum period of 5 years.

Right to work

On the back of your residence permit it says 'Tewerkstellingsvergunning (TWV) vereist voor arbeid van bijkomende aard, andere arbeid in loondienst niet toegestaan'. This means the following:

Work in paid employment

You may only work in paid employment if your employer has a work permit (TWV) for you. You are then allowed to work:

  • for a maximum of 16 hours a week; or

  • full-time during the summer months June, July and August.

Please note! If you work for more hours than allowed or if your employer was not issued a TWV for you, then you are (unintentionally) working illegally. This is being monitored by the SZW Inspectorate. In case of an infringement, the IND will contact the educational institute where you are studying. The Inspectorate will then fine the employer for illegal employment.

How EDP will help you?

If you’re an EDP student with Confirmation of admission from our partner university, we will assist you with the entire process. We will inform you of the latest changes and requirements you need to follow and gather to avoid rejections and hassle-free completion of the entire process.

Interested to study in Netherlands?

Fill the form down, and we will call you back

Why study in


The Netherlands, a country in northwestern Europe, is known for a flat landscape of canals, tulip fields, windmills and cycling routes. Amsterdam, the capital, is home to the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and the house where Jewish diarist Anne Frank hid during WWII. Canalside mansions and a trove of works from artists including Rembrandt and Vermeer remain from the city's 17th-century "Golden Age."

Study Abroad

Study in Bangalore

Click to call now

© All Righs Reserved by IEDP Pvt Ltd

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn